Tuesday, January 29, 2008

Tools a Librarian (or a Teacher) Could Love...

I just added two new applications—WorldCat and Easy Bibliography Generator—to my Facebook account, and I have just one thing to say: A-frickin’-mazing. Could I be more in love with this? No. Will I refer people to these applications? Yes. Consider yourselves my first refer-ees.

As many of you reading this will know, WorldCat is a comprehensive database allowing you to search for and find items in libraries all over the world. Here in the world of libraries, we already use WorldCat to find items that KRL doesn’t have. Now it seems like we could link this application to our library page in Facebook, making our site that much more vibrant for all those students and researchers out there in search of books. In case you’re worrying that it’ll send them to other libraries for books we have: not so much. It shows a list of owning libraries by proximity, starting with the closest library.

Easy Bibliography Generator is just what it sounds like. You plug in source information, and Easy Bibliographer Generator creates a properly formatted citation in any of a variety of citation styles, including MLA, Chicago Manual of Style, and even the dreaded and deeply stress-inducing APA style. (Yes, people, I teach a class at UOP that includes an intensive component on APA formatting, and it is evil. APA, I mean, not my class. Maybe the class, too. You’d have to ask my students.) Using this site, you can properly format bibliography entries for books, journals, Web sites, lectures, interviews, and more. For those of you referring patrons or students to style manuals, this is an outstanding tool to add to your repertoire.

2 comments:

bear said...

these would indeed seem to be perfect applications to add to a library FB page. for reasons i can't comprehend, they are available to add to profiles, but not to pages.

i've written FB asking they reconsider their policies - i'm not holding my breath....

bc

Constance said...

Well, that just s**ks... but I kind of wondered, hence the tentative language. Still, all the more reason librarians need to know about the tool then, so they can TELL people. Good old word-of-mouth is still our most important resource.