Friday, October 12, 2007

Comfort Books


I'm a big believer in pet therapy, comfort food, and of course comfort books. But before we go there, take a moment to slide your eyes to the right and feast them on the love-bunny known as Rho. Rho is Megzilla's brother, and a little less precociously brainy than his sister. He is, however, quite a sweetheart, loves to give hugs and kisses. So take a deep breath, gaze long into those melting blue eyes, and feel yourself to be deeply loved. Aahhhh, feels good, doesn't it?

Now that the pet-lovers have all forsaken their computers to go hug their own feline and canine family members, let's get back to the subject of comfort books. You know the ones I mean: the ones that you always come back to, the books that never fail to give solace on the coldest, wettest, worst-ever days, the days when you lock your keys in the car, argue with your spouse, slip in a mud puddle, and have to eat leftover tuna cassarole for lunch when you absolutely loathe tuna cassarole. On days like that, my husband likes to immerse himself in the world of Anne Bishop's Black Jewels Trilogy. I haven't read it yet, but if you have you might want to log in here and let me know what kind of oddball I'm married to, since the reviews all use words like dark, disburbing, and violent, strangely counterpointed with other words like romantic, witty, teasing, and--strangest of all if you knew my husband--matriarchal. Having said that, I'm thinking my husband may be a little like Meggy and there's some freakin' serious stuff going on behind that innocent blue-eyed gaze.

Back to comfort books. One of my favorite comfort reads is Little Women, a choice which no doubt many of you will understand instantly and wholeheartedly. I honestly have never met the person who grew up American, female, and reading who did not love this book. It's a classic for a reason.

Another favorite comfort book is the aforementioned The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy. What can I say? It's not enough to know that Vogon poetry is the third worst in the galaxy, Douglas Adams does not scruple to tell you what out there may be worse. If you read this and don't laugh, I am very, very sorry.

5 comments:

Cronehenge said...

Loved this post..I am hooked! Look at me...I haven't really focused on comfort in books, but, instead, in dining. That said, however, one book that I have turned to for "peace" (which feels darn comfortable sometimes) is The Art of Happiness, A Handbook for Living by Howard C. Cutler, M.D., with His Holiness the Dalai Lama.

Everyone should read that book once a week, I think. Not telling you much about it in case you might just get curious enough to look into it yourself. Not saying you need to do that, everyone, should do that.

Sara F. said...

When I'm sad, I reread Wodehouse. The Jeeves and Wooster books, specifically. They're lighthearted, they're funny, the plots are zany but predictable, and I can't ever read them without feeling at least a little happier than I was before.

When I'm looking for more...spiritual comfort, I guess, like hannah mentioned above, I reread parts of the Poetic Edda. Usually the Havamal.

Constance said...

Oooh, great thoughts. I agree, too, there are many kinds of comfort to be found in books--laughter, tears, companionship, escape, and, most wholeheartedly, spiritual solace. Thanks for the reminder. Please keep the ideas coming.

Lael said...

I really enjoyed this blog. I can't wait to hear what other comfort books you have. I also go back to Little Women when I am blue and also Jane Eyre. I was introduced a couple of years ago to the Hitchhiker's Guide and absolutely loved it.

For spiritual solace, I go to Soul Surviver by Philip Yancey. I first had to read it for an ethics class and needless to say that book did not go into the book buyback program.

tishella said...

I love that phrase love-bunny!!
I am enraptured with that sink picture. I find it amazing how cats can cram their bodies into spaces smaller than themselves and still look regal,royal.
My favorite comfort book is "I'll Take It" by Paul Rudnick. I have probably read it over 20 times and it still makes me laugh hysterically. Thanks for your positive energy!!